ABOUT THE ROLE
The App Cloud engineering team builds backend services/APIs that power the user experience across iOS, Android, web, and TV. The team helps users discover and take live and on-demand classes, workout in gyms, run/walk outdoors, personalize experiences, take part in challenges, discover new music, and much more. Peloton’s apps are an important and growing focus for Peloton, as they provide an easy way for new members to engage with Peloton’s high-quality content at a greater range of price points.
We are looking for a motivated and proactive engineering manager with a strong technical background, proven leadership skills, strategic thinking, a love for coaching engineers, and a track record of delivering high-quality software.
YOUR DAILY IMPACT AT PELOTON
- Motivate and drive a continuous performance-based culture within the team. Provide adequate management support for the team in the form of team meetings, 1:1’s and other forums as needed
- Coach and mentor software engineers. Foster their career growth through setting objectives, actionable feedback, and sharing best practices
- Lead by example to inspire a collaborative, empathetic engineering culture of learning, respect, transparency and trust. Open, clear and actionable communication is essential, and you create a culture of psychological safety where contrary opinions feel welcome
- Drive technical decision making through objectively assessing trade-offs based on architecture, scope, business priorities, and impacts to product experience. - Leverage a strong technical foundation and experience to provide appropriate guidance to the engineering team (including senior and staff software engineers).
- Establish processes to effectively improve engineering and operational excellence
- Identify and drive the adoption of new technologies, architecture and skill sets for the team to take on new challenges
- You deeply understand Peloton App strategy and can use this to motivate your team. You ensure we are focused on the most impactful things
- Collaborate cross functionally with Engineering, Product, Design, and other teams to develop short- and long-term roadmaps and execution plans.
- Handle planning and breaking down large projects; Manage program and project risks appropriately; Identify and mitigate internal and cross-functional dependencies and blockers
YOU BRING TO PELOTON
- 3+ years of hands-on technical management experience.
- 8+ years of relevant software development experience. Demonstrable experience in having improved reliability and scalability of high traffic applications.
- Experience with several of the following technologies to provide thorough code review and architectural guidance (Kotlin/Python, PostgresQL, DynamoDB, GraphQL, GRPC, Kafka)
- Demonstrable experience shipping several large scale projects with multiple dependencies across teams
- Ability to mediate between competing product and technical priorities; align priorities and goals through collaboration with technical leads and product managers
- Experience with coaching and mentoring software engineers at different stages in their career, including senior and staff level engineers. Able to demonstrate the ability to identify the strength and weaknesses of individuals in order to maximize team effectiveness
- Ability to communicate and discuss complex topics with technical and non-technical audiences
- Experience hiring talented engineers at different levels
As an organization, one of our top priorities is to maintain the health and wellbeing for our employees and their family. To achieve this goal, we offer robust and comprehensive benefits including:
Peloton provides Members with expert instruction, world-class content and the fitness industry's leading music library to create impactful and entertaining workout experiences for anyone, anywhere and at any stage in their fitness journey. At home, outdoors, traveling, or at the gym, Peloton offers an immersive and personalized experience [with or without equipment]. Access Peloton content via the Peloton Bike, Bike+, Tread, Guide, Row or the Peloton App, now with multiple membership tiers. Founded in 2012 and headquartered in New York City, Peloton has a highly engaged community of nearly 7 million Members across the US, UK, Canada, Germany, and Australia.
Peloton is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. Equal employment opportunity has been, and will continue to be, a fundamental principle at Peloton, where all team members, applicants, and other covered persons are considered on the basis of their personal capabilities and qualifications without discrimination because of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, pregnancy, genetic information, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital and civil partnership/union status, alienage or citizenship status, creed, genetic predisposition or carrier status, unemployment status, familial status, domestic violence, sexual violence or stalking victim status, caregiver status, or any other protected characteristic as established by applicable law. This policy of equal employment opportunity applies to all practices and procedures relating to recruitment and hiring, compensation, benefits, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. If you would like to request any accommodations from application through to interview, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please be aware that fictitious job openings, consulting engagements, solicitations, or employment offers may be circulated on the Internet in an attempt to obtain privileged information, or to induce you to pay a fee for services related to recruitment or training. Peloton does NOT charge any application, processing, or training fee at any stage of the recruitment or hiring process. All genuine job openings will be posted here on our careers page and all communications from the Peloton recruiting team and/or hiring managers will be from an @ onepeloton.com email address.
If you have any doubts about the authenticity of an email, letter or telephone communication purportedly from, for, or on behalf of Peloton, please email email@example.com before taking any further action in relation to the correspondence.
Peloton does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Agencies should not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Peloton employees or any other organization location. Peloton is not responsible for any agency fees related to unsolicited resumes.