Senior Data Platform Engineer
ABOUT THE ROLE
At Peloton, we treat Data as Product - a valuable asset and a critical piece of our decision making process. The mission of the Data Platform team is to democratize data and provide a cost-efficient, observable and reliable data platform that empowers and enables decentralized teams to accelerate their ability to safely use data to generate actionable insights and product features. Our core guiding principles are 1) enable data as a product 2) ensure data reliability and 3) optimize for data productivity. We are looking for a Senior Engineer to join our Data Platform team to build out core data systems and tools that serve as the building blocks of our data platform. As a part of the Data Platform team, you will be working across a wide range of problems in the data ingestion, data compute, data transport, data orchestration, data interoperability and data privacy areas. Some of the few challenges you will work on in your first year are: How do we build a common multi-region event bus that powers the event-driven architecture at Peloton? How do we build a golden pipeline and framework for teams to ingest and expose their data to other teams? How do we build a multi-tenant batteries-included orchestration tool that can be used by teams? What are the compute frameworks we should standardize on for batch and streaming processing? How do we categorize and certify a golden dataset as meeting the quality standards? How do we ensure that PII datasets meet compliance requirements?
YOUR DAILY IMPACT AT PELOTON
- Be an owner and subject matter expert on one or more workstreams under Data Platform viz. Change Data Capture, Data Compute Frameworks, Data Modeling, Schemas & Serialization, Data Pipelining & Orchestration, Data Storage, Data Transport & Interoperability, Developer Portal, Data Lake Standards, Data Access & Control.
- Write technical specifications and efficient, high quality, well-tested code.
- Be an enabler and force multiplier to improve data productivity by building out self-service data systems, services and tools.
- Work with decentralized teams enabling them to create data pipelines and publish golden datasets.
- Educate and promote best practices around data engineering on decentralized stream-enabled teams.
- Coach and mentor engineers across the engineering team to build a data culture.
YOU BRING TO PELOTON
- You have 5+ years of experience in engineering, especially data infrastructure and data engineering.
- You have experience in a cloud environment like AWS and familiarity with tools like Kubernetes, Kafka, Airflow, Glue, Athena and Data Lake Formation.
- You have experience with Python or Scala and experience working on large distributed systems and frameworks like Spark/ Flink.
- You are passionate about event-driven architecture, microservices , data reliability, data privacy and quality.
- Proven experience working with rapid product development in an agile environment is preferred
- You are pragmatic without compromising on software quality and standards.
Base Salary: $199,200 to $258,800
The base salary range represents the low and high end of the anticipated salary range for this position based at our New York City headquarters. The actual base salary offered for this position will depend on numerous factors including individual performance, business objectives, and if the location for the job changes. Our base salary is just one component of Peloton’s competitive total rewards strategy that also includes annual equity awards and an Employee Stock Purchase Plan as well as other region-specific health and welfare benefits.
As an organization, one of our top priorities is to maintain the health and wellbeing for our employees and their family. To achieve this goal, we offer robust and comprehensive benefits including:
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Generous paid time off policy
- Short-term and long-term disability
- Access to mental health services
- 401k, tuition reimbursement and student loan paydown plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Fertility and adoption support and up to 18 weeks of paid parental leave
- Child care and family care discounts
- Free access to Peloton Digital App and apparel and product discounts
- Commuter benefits and Citi Bike Discount
- Pet insurance and so much more!
Peloton is the leading interactive fitness platform globally, with a passionate community of nearly 7 million Members in the US, UK, Canada, Germany, and Australia. Peloton makes fitness entertaining, approachable, effective, and convenient, while fostering social connections that motivate its Members to commit to their fitness journeys. An innovator at the nexus of fitness, technology, and media, Peloton reinvented the fitness industry by developing a first-of-its-kind subscription platform that seamlessly combines the best equipment, proprietary networked software, world-class streaming digital fitness and wellness content, and best-in-class fitness experts and Instructors.
Peloton is an equal opportunity employer and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all of our applicants. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. If you would like to request any accommodations from application through to interview, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please be aware that fictitious job openings, consulting engagements, solicitations, or employment offers may be circulated on the Internet in an attempt to obtain privileged information, or to induce you to pay a fee for services related to recruitment or training. Peloton does NOT charge any application, processing, or training fee at any stage of the recruitment or hiring process. All genuine job openings will be posted here on our careers page and all communications from the Peloton recruiting team and/or hiring managers will be from an @ onepeloton.com email address.
If you have any doubts about the authenticity of an email, letter or telephone communication purportedly from, for, or on behalf of Peloton, please email email@example.com before taking any further action in relation to the correspondence.
Peloton does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Agencies should not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Peloton employees or any other organization location. Peloton is not responsible for any agency fees related to unsolicited resumes.