Staff Software Engineer
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Workout Journey Cloud team is responsible for the core workout experience in Peloton, including starting, ending, pausing, and unpausing workouts, workout history, achievements, and challenges. We are looking for a passionate Staff Software Engineer/Tech Lead. This person will provide technical leadership as the team designs, builds, and deploys innovative products and services while scaling our architecture to support many more millions of members. We are looking for proven experience in areas including API and data modeling, system design, and service migration and development. At Peloton, intelligent and motivated engineers can have a tremendous impact on what we create and how we create it. Help us build the future of fitness!
YOUR DAILY IMPACT AT PELOTON
- Enhance and operate business-critical APIs and services with a focus on high availability, low latency, security and scalability
- Propose, experiment, and implement solutions to scale services while meeting business and product requirements
- Leverage production monitoring/profiling/tracing and load testing tools to discover bottlenecks and using techniques such as data modeling, query optimization, and caching to address the bottlenecks
- Be a technical leader within the team you work with and cross functionally within Peloton
- Be able to identify common patterns as well as develop and foster development of reusable components and standards across teams
- Coordinate technical projects across teams within Peloton
- Be a valued member of an autonomous, multi-functional agile team
- Use industry-standard, cloud-native tech, which means easily transferable skills
- Bring in best practices of software development in your team and evangelize across teams
YOU BRING TO PELOTON
- 8+ years of experience developing high-performance, highly scalable backend cloud application systems
- A valued team player in a dynamic, autonomous, cross-functional agile team that inspires others
- Hands-on experience building, testing, deploying, and monitoring services
- Expertise in Kotlin, Python, or similar languages
- Hands-on experience decomposing monoliths into microservices
- Hands-on experience implementing event-driven architectures
- Experience interfacing with members of other teams to gain clarity, triage issues, and drive cross-functional initiatives
- Experience with both relational (e.g. PostgreSQL, MySQL) and NoSQL (e.g. DynamoDB, Cassandra, Mongo) databases
- Experience with caching technologies such as Memache, Redis
- Experience with request processing such as REST, gRPC, or GraphQL
- Familiar with deployment toolings/environments such as Kubernetes, Terraform, GitHub Actions, Jenkins etc
Base Salary: $213,300.00 to $245,300.00
The base salary range represents the low and high end of the anticipated salary range for this position based at our New York City headquarters. The actual base salary offered for this position will depend on numerous factors including individual performance, business objectives, and if the location for the job changes. Our base salary is just one component of Peloton’s competitive total rewards strategy that also includes annual equity awards and an Employee Stock Purchase Plan as well as other region-specific health and welfare benefits.
As an organization, one of our top priorities is to maintain the health and wellbeing for our employees and their family. To achieve this goal, we offer robust and comprehensive benefits including:
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Generous paid time off policy
- Short-term and long-term disability
- Access to mental health services
- 401k, tuition reimbursement and student loan paydown plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Fertility and adoption support and up to 18 weeks of paid parental leave
- Child care and family care discounts
- Free access to Peloton Digital App and apparel and product discounts
- Commuter benefits and Citi Bike Discount
- Pet insurance and so much more!
Peloton is the leading interactive fitness platform globally, with a passionate community of nearly 7 million Members in the US, UK, Canada, Germany, and Australia. Peloton makes fitness entertaining, approachable, effective, and convenient, while fostering social connections that motivate its Members to commit to their fitness journeys. An innovator at the nexus of fitness, technology, and media, Peloton reinvented the fitness industry by developing a first-of-its-kind subscription platform that seamlessly combines the best equipment, proprietary networked software, world-class streaming digital fitness and wellness content, and best-in-class fitness experts and Instructors.
Peloton is an equal opportunity employer and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all of our applicants. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. If you would like to request any accommodations from application through to interview, please email: email@example.com
Please be aware that fictitious job openings, consulting engagements, solicitations, or employment offers may be circulated on the Internet in an attempt to obtain privileged information, or to induce you to pay a fee for services related to recruitment or training. Peloton does NOT charge any application, processing, or training fee at any stage of the recruitment or hiring process. All genuine job openings will be posted here on our careers page and all communications from the Peloton recruiting team and/or hiring managers will be from an @ onepeloton.com email address.
If you have any doubts about the authenticity of an email, letter or telephone communication purportedly from, for, or on behalf of Peloton, please email firstname.lastname@example.org before taking any further action in relation to the correspondence.
Peloton does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Agencies should not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Peloton employees or any other organization location. Peloton is not responsible for any agency fees related to unsolicited resumes.