ABOUT THE ROLE
Platform Engineering creates the technologies, tools, and services that enable engineers across Peloton to build faster and scale safely, with minimal effort. By improving developer velocity and simplifying the ability for our engineers to scale in a safe and performant manner, we enable engineers to innovate faster, accelerating Peloton's mission to use technology and design to connect the world through fitness, empowering people to be the best version of themselves anywhere, anytime.
We are looking for Software Engineers with strong technical ability in python , kubernetes and service scalability/reliability to help us stabilize and scale the core backend application that is (currently) powering the bulk of our backend systems. You will have the opportunity to dive into a highly visible and business critical system that enables our members to complete tens of thousands of workouts per day. You will also be at the forefront of enabling engineering teams to migrate functionality into new microservices with confidence. Finally, you will be responsible for ensuring that this system can scale appropriately during times of extreme stress - typically observed during special occasions (such as “Turkey Burn” on Thanksgiving) or when celebrities drop in to our studios. This team has a very broad scope and operates over components across the entire stack - from Cloudflare (on the edge) all the way down to caching and connection pooling strategies for SQL / NoSQL databases + caching technologies.
YOUR DAILY IMPACT AT PELOTON
- Advance our deployment pipeline and tooling ecosystem (CI/CD, Declarative Infrastructure, Fast rollbacks) for the Monolith with a focus on reducing friction and increasing feedback for the dozens of changes that are promoted to production daily
- Evangelize and nurture best practices to deliver bug-free code, using best practices such as rate-limiting, fault-tolerance, CI/CD, canary releases, test automation, and observability in order to ensure confidence in our platform
- Write understandable, testable code with an eye towards maintainability, scalability and performance
- Collaborate with engineers in teams across the org by taking part in pair programming and leading white boarding solutions, team discussions, and task breakdown
- Active engagement in technical discussions during architecture discussions, code reviews, and design docs to help promote a culture of learning and constant improvement.
- Defend the integrity of the codebase, never compromising on code quality
- Ability to collaborate with both remote and in-person teams
- Imagine and implement innovative techniques and patterns (in code or as behavior) to ensure our system as a whole can scale and/or degrade gracefully during moments of high traffic volume.
- Dive deeply into a complex tech stack to find solutions for elusive bugs or implement optimizations to save on costs, developer/member frustrations, or both.
- Help in driving adoption of microservice tooling and best practices (eg: API Gateway migration, service mesh availability, canary deployments) on the Monolith itself.
- Play a key role in measuring and ensuring the rate of regressions introduced to our API systems are minimized
YOU BRING TO PELOTON
- 2 to 5+ years of experience developing high-performance, highly scalable backend cloud application systems
- A valued team player in a dynamic, autonomous, multi-functional agile team that inspires others
- Hands-on experience building, testing, deploying, and monitoring services
- Hands-on experience decomposing monoliths into microservices
- Hands-on experience implementing event-driven architectures
- Experience collaborating with members of other teams to gain clarity, triage issues, and lead multi-functional initiatives
- Experience with both relational (e.g. PostgreSQL, MySQL) and NoSQL (e.g. DynamoDB, Cassandra, Mongo) databases
- Experience with caching technologies such as Memache, Redis
- Experience with request processing such as REST, gRPC, or GraphQL
- Experience with deployment toolings/environments such as Kubernetes, Terraform, GitHub Actions, Jenkins etc
Base Salary: $172,100.00 to $223,800.00
The base salary range represents the low and high end of the anticipated salary range for this position based at our New York City headquarters. The actual base salary offered for this position will depend on numerous factors including individual performance, business objectives, and if the location for the job changes. Our base salary is just one component of Peloton’s competitive total rewards strategy that also includes annual equity awards and an Employee Stock Purchase Plan as well as other region-specific health and welfare benefits.
As an organization, one of our top priorities is to maintain the health and wellbeing for our employees and their family. To achieve this goal, we offer robust and comprehensive benefits including:
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Generous paid time off policy
- Short-term and long-term disability
- Access to mental health services
- 401k, tuition reimbursement and student loan paydown plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Fertility and adoption support and up to 18 weeks of paid parental leave
- Child care and family care discounts
- Free access to Peloton Digital App and apparel and product discounts
- Commuter benefits and Citi Bike Discount
- Pet insurance and so much more!
Peloton is the leading interactive fitness platform globally, with a passionate community of nearly 7 million Members in the US, UK, Canada, Germany, and Australia. Peloton makes fitness entertaining, approachable, effective, and convenient, while fostering social connections that motivate its Members to commit to their fitness journeys. An innovator at the nexus of fitness, technology, and media, Peloton reinvented the fitness industry by developing a first-of-its-kind subscription platform that seamlessly combines the best equipment, proprietary networked software, world-class streaming digital fitness and wellness content, and best-in-class fitness experts and Instructors.
Peloton is an equal opportunity employer and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all of our applicants. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. If you would like to request any accommodations from application through to interview, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please be aware that fictitious job openings, consulting engagements, solicitations, or employment offers may be circulated on the Internet in an attempt to obtain privileged information, or to induce you to pay a fee for services related to recruitment or training. Peloton does NOT charge any application, processing, or training fee at any stage of the recruitment or hiring process. All genuine job openings will be posted here on our careers page and all communications from the Peloton recruiting team and/or hiring managers will be from an @ onepeloton.com email address.
If you have any doubts about the authenticity of an email, letter or telephone communication purportedly from, for, or on behalf of Peloton, please email email@example.com before taking any further action in relation to the correspondence.
Peloton does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Agencies should not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Peloton employees or any other organization location. Peloton is not responsible for any agency fees related to unsolicited resumes.