Staff Database Reliability Engineer, Datastores
ABOUT THE ROLE
At Peloton, we treat Data as Product, a valuable asset and a critical piece of our decision making process. The mission of the Datastores team is to ensure that Peloton has a reliable, secure, highly available and highly performant data persistence layer (databases and datastores) for application services in partnership with other engineering teams. Our core guiding principles are 1) Protect the data 2) Optimize for scale, speed and reliability 3) Eliminate toil
We are looking for a Staff Database Reliability Engineer (DBRE) to join our Datastores team to work on areas around data protection, automation around datastore provisioning, observability and performance insights related to datastores like PostgreSQL, DynamoDB, Elasticache, Memcache, and graph databases. Some of the few challenges you will work on: How do we automate and eliminate toil by providing self-service datastore provisioning with Terraform and Backstage? How do we enable autoscaling of datastores as traffic increases during events like Turkey Burn? How do we enable autonomous teams to be self-sufficient in terms of managing datastores through observability metrics and query insights? How do we make Peloton truly global by supporting multi-regionalism at the data persistence layer?
YOUR DAILY IMPACT AT PELOTON
- Be a subject matter expert with focus on delivery of small to large initiatives including guiding the team to make strategic technical decisions to enable delivery outcomes, set expectations with and maintain relationships with key stakeholders
- Be directly responsible for maintaining and scaling our data persistence layer (runtime datastores and databases) in coordination with service owners to power a world-class fitness experience.
- Represent the datastores team where deep knowledge of our data persistence layer is needed - cross-functional work streams, Technical Advisory Groups (TAGs) and Special Interest Groups (SIGs)
- Lead, coach, and mentor other engineers of diverse backgrounds in an autonomous, cross-functional team.
- Design, develop and operate business-critical backend systems with a focus on high availability, low latency and scalability.
- Implement self-service tooling and enhance the developer experience around databases as a service. We're using industry-standard, cloud native tech, which means easily transferable skills.
- Review code and provide feedback to ensure it is high quality, efficient, well-tested and documented
- Coach and mentor engineers across the engineering team to build a good understanding of
YOU BRING TO PELOTON
- 8+ years of experience running PostgreSQL in production cloud environments (preferably AWS) along with exposure to datastores like Aurora, DynamoDB, Elasticache and Memcache
- Experience in designing, building and maintaining and scaling production datastores for High Availability
- Experience in automation of infrastructure provisioning (preferably Terraform), data modeling, and developer tooling around query optimization, distributed systems and databases.
- Passion for building stable and secure systems management practices.
- You have a systematic problem-solving approach coupled with effective communication skills and drive.
- You are passionate about architecture especially as it relates to data layer, microservices, data reliability practices, data privacy and quality
- You are pragmatic without compromising on software quality and standards like Source Control, Peer reviews and Semantic versioning
Base Salary: $236,700 to $272,100
The base salary range represents the low and high end of the anticipated salary range for this position based at our New York City headquarters. The actual base salary offered for this position will depend on numerous factors including individual performance, business objectives, and if the location for the job changes. Our base salary is just one component of Peloton’s competitive total rewards strategy that also includes annual equity awards and an Employee Stock Purchase Plan as well as other region-specific health and welfare benefits.
As an organization, one of our top priorities is to maintain the health and wellbeing for our employees and their family. To achieve this goal, we offer robust and comprehensive benefits including:
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Generous paid time off policy
- Short-term and long-term disability
- Access to mental health services
- 401k, tuition reimbursement and student loan paydown plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Fertility and adoption support and up to 18 weeks of paid parental leave
- Child care and family care discounts
- Free access to Peloton Digital App and apparel and product discounts
- Commuter benefits and Citi Bike Discount
- Pet insurance and so much more!
Peloton provides Members with expert instruction, world-class content and the fitness industry's leading music library to create impactful and entertaining workout experiences for anyone, anywhere and at any stage in their fitness journey. At home, outdoors, traveling, or at the gym, Peloton offers an immersive and personalized experience [with or without equipment]. Access Peloton content via the Peloton Bike, Bike+, Tread, Guide, Row or the Peloton App, now with multiple membership tiers. Founded in 2012 and headquartered in New York City, Peloton has a highly engaged community of nearly 7 million Members across the US, UK, Canada, Germany, and Australia.
Peloton is an equal opportunity employer and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all of our applicants. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. If you would like to request any accommodations from application through to interview, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please be aware that fictitious job openings, consulting engagements, solicitations, or employment offers may be circulated on the Internet in an attempt to obtain privileged information, or to induce you to pay a fee for services related to recruitment or training. Peloton does NOT charge any application, processing, or training fee at any stage of the recruitment or hiring process. All genuine job openings will be posted here on our careers page and all communications from the Peloton recruiting team and/or hiring managers will be from an @ onepeloton.com email address.
If you have any doubts about the authenticity of an email, letter or telephone communication purportedly from, for, or on behalf of Peloton, please email email@example.com before taking any further action in relation to the correspondence.
Peloton does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Agencies should not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Peloton employees or any other organization location. Peloton is not responsible for any agency fees related to unsolicited resumes.